Monday, November 14, 2011

The Final Season

This past week Woman Scorned got together, and we had our Spring goals meeting. Every year we have this meeting where we talk about how the fall season went, what we would like to accomplish in the spring, and how we are going to reach these goals. For the past 3 years, the meets have been pretty similar, but each season has a little something different to offer. Different people, different lessons learned, different plans to accomplish our goals... they all make each season its own.

Like every year, I am ecstatic, full of plans, and ready to make the commitment to my teammates and myself, but there was one thing that makes this year truly different for me. This is my last season playing with Woman Scorned.


I don't think the reality of this really started to hit me until the meeting. As we were going around the room talking about our team goals, one of my teammates said something that literally made me stop breathing for a minute. Daisy said, "I have spent all of my college career playing for this team and working hard to be the best I can be. This is my last semester, so I want to give everything everything I have. There is nothing left to hold back for."

Her comment really hit me hard. This is my LAST season with Scorned. The past 4 years (in February) have been very heavily dedicated to ultimate and this amazing team that I am fortunate enough to be a part of. I have sacrificed an unreasonable amount of time, money, and energy (all of it worth it), and this is my last chance to experience being a part of this team. Additionally, this is where I get to take all of the time and energy that other people have spent helping me become the player I am, and make it count. I have nothing else to hold back for. This is it.



For the past couple weeks, I have been trying to decide when I want to officially "start spring season." Basically, I need to flip the switch from "Off-season/fat week(s) mode" to "college season mode." After the meeting, I decided, why wait? Why shorten the season that is already going to end too early. Spring season starts now.

Although I am itching to get out on those fields at our first tournament, that is not where our season starts. Each practice we have, every sprint I do, every time I get the chance to hang out with my teammates; these experiences are all part of the journey that make playing for Woman Scorned so amazing. I have a little over one semester left. I'm staring my "Spring season" right now. Like Daisy said, "we have nothing left to hold back for."

Let's do this Scorned!


-Lindsey Gapstur #2

ps. happy Woman Scorned Thanksgiving day

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I love Daisy! She looked so good in those Daily photos and I was musing over how good of a player she has become. You are all many years in the making and will make Woman Scorned proud in Spring 2012....go get em!

    ReplyDelete