Monday, March 19, 2012

Why Do You Love Ultimate?

This past spring break I was visiting family and chatting with them about my life. Despite my feable attempts to reach out and expand my life, time has really limited most of what I have going on to veterinary school and ultimate frisbee. As we were talking, my passion for the sport was pretty clear and the question arose, "Why do you like ultimate so much?"


I think most people who play ultimate would say that it is pretty addictive, but what is it exactly that makes ultimate so great? I have heard people say that the fact that the disc floats makes it such a unique sport. This makes sense, since the physics of ultimate are different than others. We are able to run faster than the disc flies some times which allows for laying out and jumping high for floaty discs.


Others claim that spirit of the game (SOTG) is what makes ultimate so unique. I do believe that in the college and club women's game (the two that I have played, thus the only I can speak for) this still has meaning and does set the game apart from others I have played.


I think these ideas are legitimate reasons, but I don't think they are why I am so in love with this sport. Honestly, I don't think I can pick just one reason. Instead, I think I will just post a list of some of my favorite things about playing ultimate (these are probably more specific to Woman Scorned, but that's ultimate to me).


1. Boom box respect
2. Our janky handmade flag
3. Double handed high fives
4. Rushing the field
5. Watching the energy on the field change because of sideline cheers
6. Heckling teammates
7. Heckling friends on the opposing team
8.Team huddles
9. Giving people nicknames
10. Sleeping in the most random places to save $10 a night on hotels, but being willing to drive 30+ hours (at $4/gallon) to play 8 or 9 hours of ultimate
11. Cheering on other teams we are friends with
12. Getting ridiculous tan lines
13. Playing with 100% heart and passion, and being able to put it all out on the field
14. Pump up buddy gifts before and during tournaments. I love ridiculousness.
15. Playing defense while jacked on Red Bull


Phone a friend on Gchat (at 12:30 am)- Why do you love ultimate?


"I get to escape my life for an entire weekend, I get to hang out with my team and kick butt, and I get a personal trainer" - Annihka Murray (WS)

"I love the competitive, yet friendly atmosphere at tournaments between the teams and also, that the teams can play fair without having to have a ref." - Ashley Bomar (WS alumni)

"I love ultimate because of the great community of people and how positively the sport and people have impacted my life over the past 8 years." - Michelle Ng (Molly Brown Town, Texas and Cal alumni)

"I love the people and the community, and how strongly it influences everybody - myself, my friends, my family" -Magon Liu (WS)

"Well I mean there are multiple reasons why I love/play the sport --for the competitive side, success/glory, etc...but I guess when I look back on it all, I've realized my teammates have been the main reason why I have fallen in love with the sport and community." - Christy Cheung (KU Betty)


Let's see if anyone reads this blog. Feel free to comment with what you love about ultimate, please.

2 comments:

  1. I have been asked this question a lot since my freshman year at college. My parents couldn't quite understand the significant financial/time commitment... OR the slight effect it had on my grades. I mean really- who schedules test's on friday's- don't they know all I can think about on a tourney friday is ultimate?? Scratch that; don't they know that all I think about is ultimate?

    My reason: My team=My family.

    Competition, the sense of community, Nicknames and all the #DL that accompanies tournaments, parties, spring break, every day life, practice etc... all make playing this sport that much more fun- but when it all boils down, I wouldn't be out there playing this crazy thing called ultimate frisbee if it wasn't for my teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think really hard about Ultimate, about the reasons I love it and what memories I cherish most, it's clear to me that part of what makes Ultimate special is the structure of it. Every tournament is a moment in time: the roadtrips there, the guys (and/or ladies) you brought with you, the floors you sleep on, the thrills of victory and agonies of defeat, the celebrations and the drowning of sorrows. Because I played my entire college career on a B-team, where tournament rosters can vary wildly from weekend to weekend, I was always able to see a progression throughout the weekend as guys learned to play with each other. The shared experience of that weekend is a bond shared with that group alone.

    This also holds true for less competitive Ultimate, which I also thoroughly enjoy. When you throw a co-ed team and a cooler together for a weekend and party from sunup to sundown, when Ultimate just becomes the excuse to run around in the sunshine with your friends and enjoy a quality beverage or seven. When you pick up for a team because one guy you barely know is looking for players, and end up making a dozen friends over the course of a weekend. You may never see them again, or maybe you'll see them next weekend standing in the Surly line.

    Ultimate is the best "do you remember that time when..." creator ever.

    ReplyDelete