Monday, April 2, 2012

Fools Fest Recap...But not really.

I’ll start with a disclaimer that this isn’t really a blog recap from Fools Fest. Normally for Fools I just make up a bunch of random stuff and write a really dumb post that I think is funny and no one else understands, but instead I want to write about something really means a lot to me-our alumni connections.

This weekend our Alumni team was playing. They were our 2 losses of the tournament, which we was still a big old W for Woman Scorned, so we were alright with it. A few really neat things happened at this tournament that meant a lot to me. 

1.  We had a opportunity to sit down and each share who each person was and some about their WS experience

2.  A bridge was gapped between 11 generations

3.  We combined in the finals to play against the other semi’s teams (who combined to make a huge Minnesota-based team), and I was able to play ultimate with so many present and past teammates of Woman Scorned.

Woman Scorned won the tournament which was awesome because who doesn’t love a tourney win, but even more so because it was the PERFECT way to end my college (pre-series) career. It was so amazing to be able to take the field with many of my teammates, coaches, and mentors of my entire ultimate career. I begged a lot to take home the trophy disc and I cannot wait to hang it on my wall.


This is my last college season playing Woman Scorned, and as much as I have been trying to wrap my head around that, I cannot. One of my mini goals this season has been to put together some structure and hopefully sustainable events that incorporate our alumni in to our current season. I have always been a story teller and someone who likes to keep the history of Scorned alive. I believe that it is important to know where you came from in order to honor those who contributed so much to make what we have possible. Every win we take is a win for everyone who has ever worked to make this team and program better. Also, I am about to become an alumni, and I am not ready to lose this team yet.

I have been fortunate enough to have been a part of Scorned during a very transitional 5 years (although the team is only in its 11th year). Scorned has always been a competitive team and so many of the ladies that have played on this team over the years are some of the best players I have ever met. It is mind blowing that I have been a part of 5 of the 11 seasons (almost half) that Woman Scorned has ever been in existence. I feel like such a very small part of this amazing program that so many alumni have built, and I don’t think I can ever express how grateful I am to be able to play for a team that has the commitment, support, and foundation of Woman Scorned. For anyone who has ever given themselves to a program with the dreams of what the team could someday become, please know that your dedication is anything but in vain. Unfortunately, those who lay down the roots don’t always get to reap the reward of their contribution. Please know that someday your hard work will be worth every minute to so many people and you have truly made a difference for so many others.

Not only am I fortunate enough to have had the framework for this team laid so perfectly, but I have also been blessed with the most amazing teammates. The dedication, fight, love, and accountability of these wonderful ladies is what makes every second of each season so special. No win, loss, or tournament placement will ever define a season for me because each game is earned through hundreds of hours spent preparing for it together. Despite the crazy things we all have going on in our lives, these girls give their time and hearts to the team and it that is what has really made my 5 years so rewarding. I am so proud to say that I play for Woman Scorned and that I have had the honor to play with these ladies.

There are so many people that I would like to thank in this post, but any attempt to post names surely end in my forgetting so many. So if you have ever dedicated yourself to Woman Scorned in any way, I would just like to say a huge THANK YOU. You know who you are, we love you, and once Scorned, always Scorned.

Lindsey Gapstur
Woman Scorned #2


No comments:

Post a Comment